Thursday, April 12, 2007

Update

Just thought I would give a little update of what's happened over the last week. Monday I started cleaning out all the thinset from the gaps between the tile. This was a big job, especially around the quarter round where I had to use a lot of thinset to get it to stick. During the process, I noticed a few lose tiles, so I started marking them with tape to go back and repair later.

I didn't get a chance to work on the pool again until tonight, when I finished removing the thinset from the gaps and re-set the loose tiles I had previously marked. So now the tile should be 100% ready for grouting. There is a front moving in and we are getting some rain, but it is supposed to clear out sometime Saturday morning. So the current plan is to grout on Saturday afternoon.

Sunday we should be able to start prepping for the Ultraguard application. This will require a total of 3 washes (TSP, acid, then TSP again), plus repairing all the damaged plaster by filling it in with thinset. Optimistically, I might be able to complete that on Sunday, but realistically I might need a session or two during the week to finish all the prep.

The Ultraguard application shouldn't take more than a couple of hours per coat, so this could easily be done in the evenings after work. So right now, I'm looking at being ready for the Ultraguard application by later next week, or next weekend at the worst. It's all coming together pretty quick now, and it's exciting to think that this project could be done and the pool filled again within the next week!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Mike,
I am very interested in your opinion and experiences. UltraGuard sounds very good, but I find their site a little disconcerting. Aside from saying that their product is the best pool coating, they offer no verifiable information. I have emailed them asking for some telephone numbers to call their references but haven't received any yet.
Good Luck,
Michael Mays

Unknown said...

Well I did get a reply from the UltraGuard folks and it was less than stellar. I post it below.

Maybe UltraGaurd is not into customer service. I would think that if a perspective customer asked you to contact information of their referrals that they would just provide it for you instead of sending one off to directory assistance with the partial information they list on their referral page.??

>>>>>
Michael
We have 100's of pools that have used our product in N TX. Unfortunately we are not in a position to give out phone numbers of our customers. Their are many testimonials and referrals on our website including customer greivences which are actually testimonials. You can on your own call information and get their phone numbers.
Jeanne
www.poolrestoration.com
888-639-7695

-------------- Original message --------------
From: Michael Mays michael_d_mays@mac.com

> Hi,
> Could you email me the address and telephone numbers of your
> referrals. Do you have any pools that have been coated with
> UltraGuard in the North Texas area that I could look at.
> Thanks,
> Michael Mays
>

Mike said...

Michael - I have had much better luck getting information when I call and talk to Ken. I agree that their email support has been iffy.

There is a lot of technical information about the product on their site, but it's very poorly organized in my opinion. It takes a lot of digging around to find all the information you need, but after watching this company for a year and reading the entire website several times over, it sounded to me like it was worth the risk.

Todd said...

Mike I'm about to "dive in" as you did and trust this Ultra-Guard guy but it is a bit shady you would admit. Problem is my pool is huge and I will need alot (=$$$$) which makes me extremely nervous. But so does letting someone re-plaster the thing...so it's a choice of risks. Please keep us posted on your experience with this stuff, how it applies, what it does after it dries, etc. Also, did you buy the putty he sells for $500 a wack? I need some if this, if it's any good.

Mike said...

Todd - I didn't buy the putty, because he only sells it by the bucket and I just needed a little to re-mold my step edges. Instead of buying the putty, he suggested I use a thicker concrete mix (using the recipe on his FAQ page) and mold it by hand. I also found a concrete edging tool at HD that I'm going to try for a hopefully smooth rounded edge. Hope that helps.

Todda1 said...

Hey mike what happened? Did you finish the pool or was it more difficult than anticipated! let us know the final outcome! to ultragard or not to ultragard this is the question! Thanks! Inquiring minds want to know! LOL!!!

psingh said...

so in this blog is nice...so pool restoration diy is the best....blog..

Pool Restorations Brisbane